Make your own free website on

Our Story/Struggle with Infertility

I guess you could say our struggle with infertility began shortly after our marriage in April 1996. We both knew we wanted a large family and wanted to start it now. It took us about one year of trying on our own, with no interventions (doctor, meds, etc.) to become pregnant. The month before we found out we were pregnant we had gone to a doctor for an initial infertility workup. He sent us home with a basal thermometer and told us to come back in three months. Luckily we came back the next month with good news. The pregnancy was wonderful, even though I had no clue what was going on with my body or what to expect. We delivered a healthy girl 3-4 weeks early on October 24th, 1997.

Right after her birth we decided we were ready to do it again. We knew we had some type of infertility problems to deal with, and figured if it took us as long the second time around, the spacing would be just perfect. In about April of 1998 I began doing basal body temp charting since nothing was happening. By October it had been a year without success, and I had 8 months worth of anovulatory and just plain screwed up charts. I knew there was something wrong, especially with all of the midcycle spotting I was having, so I made an appointment with the doctor who delivered our daughter. At that appt. he basically told me I was crazy and to come back in a year if nothing had happened. That was the last time I saw him. A few weeks later I found a new doctor who took me seriously. We started right away with a sperm sample from George and hormone work-up for me. The sperm sample came back low. We were very surprised by that. Not low enough where it was impossible to concieve, just enough to make it even harder on us. All of my bloodwork came back OK. Next was the endometrial biopsy. The biopsy came back showing hyperplasia. A precancerous condition, where the uterine lining is not shedding properly and has built up. It also would prevent a pregnancy from implanting, and who knows what else it was doing with ovulating. Treatment was either 6 months of provera or a D&C. I opted for the faster of course. Following the D&C in January of 1999, we did two cycles of clomid, 50 mg and 100 mg. I didn't respond to either one. My dr. suggested 3 months of birth control pills, metformin a diabetic drug recently found to have some positive effects of ovulation on women who had Polycystic Ovaries or PCOS. So that is what we did. The three months went by very quickly. July 1st began our first cycle, I took clomid 100 mg on days 5-9. We had an ultrasound on cycle day 13 that showed one follicle at about 25 and several others in the high teens. I had responded well. Now it was just a matter of time for my body to release them. According to my basal body temp chart, I did not ovulate until 4 days later. I had major symptoms of ovulating, I think it was really mild hyperstimulation. I hardly had any noticeable cervical mucuos that cycle. But miracle of all miracles it worked. We tested positive on August 2nd, 1999. We praise the Lord Above for the precious gift growing inside of me.

To hear more about our second pregnancy, go to the Conception and Pregnancy Page!

Send email here!

Hosted by